Sunday, June 30, 2013

Spicy Paneer Wraps

This is a recipe I came up with one fine evening.  I knew I had something very specific in mind.  Without giving it too much thought, I set out cooking - luckily I had all the ingredients I wanted - and just followed my instincts.  Very much like Remy in Ratatouille, if you will.  Voila, here is the result:



PANEER STUFFING

Ingredients

400 gms paneer - cut into small cubes
1 big onion
1 green capsicum (bell pepper)
2 tomatoes
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves




Method

Heat a generous amount of oil in a  wide bottomed pan - to give you an idea, pour oil to coat the entire bottom of the pan.  On medium high heat, saute onion until it turns translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell dissipates.  Add capsicum, then tomatoes, masala powders and salt.  Cook on medium high heat.  Finally, add the paneer, toss well and cook for a few more minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.

This has been quite a success.  The above quantity takes about 20 minutes flat from start to finish including preparation time.  Only the ginger-garlic paste needs to be cooked thoroughly, everything else can be a little raw - it gives a delicious crunch.  If you cook on low heat, it takes longer to make, comes out juicier, but equally delicious.










To make wraps:

Lay out a chapathi, spread a ladle full of the paneer stuffing along a line in the middle.  Fold the edges over or roll it up.




I am terrible at making chapathis, so I get Desi Roti from the Indian store.  I highly recommend it.

No comments:

");