Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Personalize Your T-Shirts

I wished to paint like her... Preethi in my 8th standard class.  I still remember watching her paint flowers on fabric - red on the bottom, yellow on top and blended into orange, in the middle, with a fresh brush.  This technique of double-coloring, as we called it then, fascinated me.  This inspiration withstood time and procrastination, and then another inspiration joined in.

I was researching Mickey Mouse themed birthday parties for my son and came across this gem of an idea : http://www.mamaslikeme.com/2013/06/diy-mickey-mouse-shirts.html.  Though I was quick about getting some basic supplies to start off with, another year had passed before I told my son that I was going to paint t-shirts for him with his favorite characters.  Again, I was quick about making a trip to the store; we got a pack of Hanes t-shirts that could be worn as undershirts, so they would not go wasted should my attempt turn out to be a disaster.

Thankfully, since my son knew of the plan, there was no putting it off beyond a day full of expectant and excited "WHEN?!!"s, and one final, despairing "when, amma?".  We sat down and made 3 in succession in no time.  It made my son's day and mine.

We drew on construction paper and cut them out.  Then transferred them to the t-shirts, padded underneath with paper, by tracing the outline with fabric pens.  Fabric pens worked out great for me as a first timer - I found it less daunting than painting with a brush.



It was mostly free hand drawing of images copied from books and online.  Ruler and compass are a great help, and stencils, if you have any.  To halve your work, fold the paper in half and draw one side of the desired image, cut it out and unfold to get a symmetrical whole.

Whenever I draw, I marvel at how complex a thing I am trying to copy on paper is.  But unless you pay close attention, you don't realize that cartoons are formed with amazingly simple lines and strokes that come together to create complex, distinct characteristics and details.  Ingenious.

No comments:

");